Muffins that are rich, tender, and loaded with blackberries?
No, it’s isn’t the butter, butter always makes everything better IMHO.
If your guess is it has something to do with the type of berries, you’re close. Blackberries do make the best pies, muffins, and cakes. But you can only take those a couple months of the year.
No, the secret to making the best muffins is sour cream! Rich and tangy sour cream not only intensifies the flavor of the berries, but makes the muffins irresistibly tender and delicious.
This blackberry muffin recipe is my favorite recipe on the site. Easy to put together and perfect for breakfast or a late brunch.
- Preheat oven, prepare muffin pan: Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Choose a standard 12 muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups. Actually, with the berries you’ll have more batter than just for 12 muffins. This batch made 18 muffins.
- Combine dry ingredients: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients and sugar: In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, then add berries: Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and mix together with a few light strokes, just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Take the berries. (If you are using frozen berries, defrost them first, then drain the excess liquid, then coat them lightly in flour.)
- Do not over-mix! Too much mixing will cause the muffins to be dense, not fluffy. The batter should not be smooth, but rather lumpy.
- Put into muffin cups and bake: Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Baked at 400°F (200°C) until a toothpick inserted into the middle of 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean, 17-20 minutes (or longer).
Let cool: Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the pan. If not serving hot, let cool on a rack.
- 2 1/2 cups (320g) all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (236ml) cream
- 1 milk
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 8 Tbsp warm melted butter (1 stick, 112 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (about 5-6 oz, about 150g) of blackberries, fresh or frozen